- This event has passed.
This one-day course looks at the law, processes and skills involved in representing asylum seekers in Northern Ireland. It will cover the asylum process from the point of claim through to the appeal hearing and grant of leave. The course will also examine how to identify potential victims of trafficking and challenge identification decisions.
The course will focus on the practical skills required in representing asylum seekers and victims of trafficking in Northern Ireland. Case studies and precedent letters will be used to illustrate the topics.
- Asylum process
- Identification of victims of trafficking
- The law (including Home Office guidance, and case law)
- Human rights and protection applications
- Remedies (including reconsiderations, judicial review and appeals) and their interplay
- Drafting witness statements
- Instructing experts
- Considering country guidance and information
- Preparing representations and appeals
- Working within the Northern Ireland legal aid framework