- This event has passed.
The course will review the Immigration Rules relating to sole responsibility for family members of PBS migrants and British and settled citizens; caselaw relating to the concept of sole responsibility, and the practical application of the Rules. We will also think of alternative options for families who cannot meet the strict Immigration Rules relating to sole responsibility.
- The Rules relating to sole responsibility
- Caselaw relating to the concept of sole responsibility
- Applications in practice – evidence
- Difficulties with the rules
- Alternative options to move to the UK, including “compelling circumstances” and Tier 4 student applications
- Case studies
13:45 – 14:00 Registration
14:00 – 14:10 Introductions
14:10 – 15:25 Part 1: the rules relating to sole responsibility, caselaw and practice (what evidence can you submit)
15:25 – 15:30 Activity/case study set – a practical example of how the rules can lead to unfair results
15:30 – 15:45 Break
15:45 – 16:00 Group discussion relating to above example
16:00 – 17:00 Part 2: thinking of ways for children to be able to come to the UK despite sole responsibility, including “compelling circumstances” rule and Tier 4 child applications
17:00 – 17:15 Group discussion/Q&A